Here at MedX Imaging & Eve's Breast Center we provide quality ultrasound service and a caring knowledgeable staff because we know...
YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO CHOOSE YOUR RADIOLOGY CENTER.
WHAT IS AN ULTRASOUND?
Medical sonography (ultrasonography) is an ultrasound-based diagnostic medical imaging technique used to visualize muscles, tendons, and many internal organs, to capture their size, structure and any pathological lesions with real time tomographic images. Ultrasound has been used by sonographers to image the human body for at least 50 years and has become one of the most widely used diagnostic tools in modern medicine. The technology is relatively inexpensive and portable, especially when compared with other modalities, such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and computed tomography (CT). Ultrasound is also used to visualize fetuses during routine and emergency prenatal care. Such diagnostic applications used during pregnancy are referred to as obstetric sonography.
Sonography is generally described as a "safe test" because it does not use ionizing radiation.
ARE ULTRASOUNDS SAFE TO HAVE DURING PREGNANCY?
Yes sonography is used routinely in obstetric appointments during pregnancy. Obstetric ultrasound is primarily used to:
- Date the pregnancy of find the gestational age
- Confirm fetal viability
- Determine location of the fetus, intrauterine vs. ectopic
- Check the location of the placenta in relation to the cervix
- Check for the number of fetuses (multiple pregnancy)
- Check for major physical abnormalities
- Assess fetal growth (for evidence of intrauterine growth restriction (IUGR))
- Check for fetal movement and heartbeat
- Determine the sex of the baby